Places to Walk in Trinidad: Mt St Catherine

I've decided to blog about every new hike, trail or mountain trek I go on because there just isn't a lot of information about some of these places out there.

Most times, when I decide to go exploring, I Google the places to get directions, see photos, get an idea of the terrain, how long it is etc.

Most times I get very basic information telling me the hike is either easy/moderate/difficult. Or it will take a certain amount of time to complete. But everyone has a different idea of what these terms mean. Moderate to an experienced hiker could be very difficult for someone like me.

And what would take a relatively fit person an hour to complete, may take me or someone else 2 or 3 hours.

So I intend to document all my trekking and give as clear information as possible.

Maybe my blogs will help some new explorer navigate these places.


Mt St Catherine

On Sunday March 11, I attempted Mt St Catherine for the first time, not really knowing what to expect apart from there being a huge "ball" at the top.

I wasn't sure if it would be a dirt trail, rocky, wet or what.

Googling told me it was 539 metres tall and the tallest peak on the Chaguaramas Peninsula.

Along with four fitness sisters and a friendly guide named Garth, we set off to conquer it shortly after 6 am.

I understand there is an alternative route to get to the top of the mount by hiking through actual forest, near Edith Falls.

However we took the more popular and easier route, beginning at the bottom of Mt Catherine Private Road which is just a short distance after Tucker Valley Road.

Mt St Catherine Private road is an actual concrete paved road that winds its way up the mountain. I did not expect this. I expected a dirt trail so I was pleasantly surprised that we would be walking up in comfort on solid concrete. (It should be that easy to ascend all mountains lol).

The road seems endless and is steep from beginning to end. However, nearing the end, it gets noticeably steeper. It is 8.5 km to the top (a little over 5 miles) according to my distance tracker. Up and back down again is a total of 17 km or ten and a half miles.

To put it in perspective, the entire distance to go up the mountain and return is equivalent to walking from the Arima Velodrome to Carib Brewery. But on an incline. It's like Lady Chancellor Hill on steroids.

A lot of the road is shaded by large trees and bamboo but leave early to avoid the hot sun in uncovered areas.




At the top is that "big ball" I mentioned which is actually a radar antenna used as a tracking station. The ball on top looks like a gigantic football.

When you start the trek, the ball can be seen in the distance. It plays tricks on you. It seems the more you walk, the further away it gets until BAM, there it is right in front of you. lol




Nearing the top there is another trail veering left which leads to a Coast Guard base. Entry is prohibited.

You can take in beautiful views of the ocean along the way and see abandoned bunkers and other historical structures.

The whole trek took a total of 3:32:52 seconds to complete at a leisurely pace.

A fitter person would definitely be able to complete it in less time.




Tips: If you decide to do this trek, take enough water. I carried one bottle and it was drained before I reached the top. I suffered on the way back.

Walk with a cap to shield from the sun. It can be brutal in unshaded areas.

The road is utilized by vehicles heading to the Coast Guard base so be on the alert for them speeding in and out.

Take lots of photos to celebrate conquering Mt St Catherine!





Length: 8.5 km (5.2 miles) one way 

Terrain: Paved road

Time: About 1hr 40 minutes one way, walking at a moderate pace

Update: The second time I did Mt St Catherine on my own, I got caught in a bush fire!





Comments

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews