Cheap gifts for the walker/runner/hiker in your life

Today a friend gave me a huge Cadbury chocolate to say thanks for something I'd done for her a few weeks ago.
I greedily ate half of it before I stopped and re-evaluated my life.
Why are you eating this? I asked myself.
Do you know how many miles you're going to have to run to burn this shit off?
And then I messaged my friend to tell her she had just derailed my diet and delayed progress on that JLo body I've been working on getting. (I wasn't anywhere near that goal anyway, but still.)
So in the course of the conversation she joked that the next time she wants to get me a gift, she'll buy me a carrot.
Har har.
But the conversation got me thinking, though.
What do you get for someone who loves to walk/run or hike?
There's lots of stuff such a person may want. I've been trying to hint to people to buy me a FitBit for as long as I can remember.
But seriously, if you're getting the walker, runner or hiker in your life a gift, you're gonna want to give them something they can actually use.
But it's gotta be inexpensive.
Because we in ah recession and there is only one thing better than cheap ting. Free ting.
So anyway, here is my list of the top 10 cheap items you can get a walker/runner or hiker that won't break the bank, that are probably cheaper than a Cadbury chocolate and that I can guarantee will actually be used.



10) A water bottle
Hydration is hella important. Hydration is extremely hella important if you plan to walk 10 + miles in the God awful Trinidad sun. Every walker/runner/hiker will have to drink water at some point during their trek. So a water bottle is probably the most practical thing you can get them. Water bottles are not expensive. You can get them in any variety store for $20 and up. It doesn't have to be fancy. It just has to hold water. If you want to splurge a little more, a camel pack is an upgrade. It'll hold more and it goes on your back so you can keep your hands free. I paid $99 for mine in PriceSmart.


9) Ziploc bags
You know what's worse than the sun when you're walking/running or hiking? Pouring rain. Personally I like to walk in the rain. It's cool and refreshing. But my phone and other belongings don't share that enthusiasm. Yes, yes. I know there are waterproof phone cases and whatnot but we're sticking to the theme of CHEAP here. Nothing is as cheap and effective as a ziploc bag when the skies open up and start raining on you while you're hiking in the middle of nowhere and there's nowhere to shelter.
8) Condoms
Listen. LISTEN. I know what you're thinking. But get your mind out of the gutter. There are other practical uses for condoms, I'll have you know! Although a romp under a waterfall is not the worst idea. But no. A fellow hiker put me on to this a while aback. A condom protects your phone just as well as it can protect you from an unwanted pregnancy. It's waterproof. Just slip your phone in it, tie it securely and even if your phone falls into a river, it will be fine. You can also still use the phone while it's in the condom as the latex doesn't obscure the touchscreen capability. Don't believe me, try it. Yes. I know they sell waterproof cases for this purpose. But that isn't the point of this blog post.




7) Trail guide
This might be the costliest item on this list, I dunno. I've never actually bought one. I was gifted a Trinidad trail guide so I'm not sure how much they actually cost. I do know that it is the most useful thing I own when it comes to hiking.



6) Hiking gloves
Ya gotta protect those hands. Especially on hikes where you need to grip on to ropes, trees or rocks to propel yourself. I prefer the fingerless ones and they are relatively inexpensive. I paid $99 for mine in Sports & Games. (yes, apparently I pay $99 for everything)




5) Clothing
There's cheap outdoor clothing out there. If you look hard enough. I bought leggings in Rattan's for $40. Don't judge me. I run on a budget. You can also get cute drifit tops for under $100 in many places.





4) Socks
Every walker, runner or hiker needs socks. That is all that needs to be said really.




3) A cap or visor
Yeah, the sun can be hell. This is self-explanatory.

2) Sponsor a race
So you know someone that has a thing for collecting medals. Sponsor their next race. 5k registration fees are often as low as $20 but most fall between $60 - $100.




1) Support
Ya' know they say the best things in life are free. It's true. If you have a friend that likes to walk/run and take part in races, go with them! If you can't do the race, wait along the route to cheer them on or take their photo as they cross the finish line. This is probably worth more than any gift you can possibly buy.





Comments

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews