Places to walk in Trinidad: Caura Royal Road

You know how you know when your fitness level has improved? When things that used to challenge and intimidate you become easy to do. That's the case with me and Caura.

I did Caura twice before. I first attempted to walk from Caura Hospital to Caura Pool 1 back in 2016 when I was close to 60 pounds heavier. I made it about 4 miles up and quit and waited for the rest of the group to get to their vehicles and come back for me.

The second time I made it successfully to Pool 1 and back but when I got home my whole body was in pain. I couldn't do anything resembling exercise for a week.

Today I tried again. Not from Caura Hospital...but from the very end of Caura Royal Road to Pool 2 and back.

Longer than what I did before but it was still shorter than I remembered. I swear the first couple times felt like I was walking the whole of Trinidad with no end in sight.

But today, I got to Pool 1 in just about an hour and a half which may not sound like a grand feat but was quite sooner than I expected.



I stopped at Pool 1 to ask someone how far again Pool 2 was because I'd never been there before. This dude opened his eyes wide as hell and went "girl you have far again!"

I was looking at the time and didn't want to get caught coming back out in the dark so I considered turning back at that point. But I say nah lemme give it a next 15 minutes and see.

Long story short...the dude lied and I'm glad I didn't listen to his lying ass. Pool 2 is literally 10 minutes away from Pool 1.


Anyway...I got there...soaked my feet...relaxed for a few minutes and started the trek back out to the main road.



It was pretty uneventful. Apart from a few half drunk men heckling me.

One thing I also didn't remember was the trash.
Y'all know my pet peeve is rubbish and filth.

The Caura stretch has plenty of both. I get that the area is popular with people coming for river limes and so on but it seems anywhere humans go, they stink it up.

I saw everything from an old tv to a toilet bowl and an old washing machine in addition to the regular bottles, plates, cans etc discarded along the side of the road for nearly the whole stretch. Humans disgust me.





Anyway...the stretch is pretty lonely. I didn't encounter a single other jogger/walker for the entire thing. Maybe it was the time of day.


       
The whole thing was just over 11 miles. And I am pleased to report that I feel no pain...so far. You have been conquered Caura! I may try the Manzanilla stretch next :D











Length: 17.9 km total (11.15 miles) from the start of Caura Royal Road to Caura River Pool 2 and back. 

Terrain: Paved road.
Time: About 1 hour 40 minutes one way walking at a moderate pace.
Points to note: The road is winding with some sharp corners. Watch out for vehicular traffic. 


Got any ideas of scenic places to walk or hike to? Comment any suggestions down below!




Comments

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews