Town gyal gone south: First 20k

Remember that 20k terror I was experiencing last week?
Well one big steupssss!
I worked myself up thinking this thing would be so difficult.
When I left home this morning, I was shaking. My hands were trembling and my heart was racing. I was so afraid.
Afraid I wouldn't be able to finish it.
Afraid I'd lag far behind.
Afraid to come last.
And after a 7 hour hike last Friday, that I still have not recovered from, I was pretty sure I was gonna do terribly.
My left knee was aching, my right ankle was aching and don't even get me started on my back.
To top it off, I have the flu from hell.
So I really was expecting to do a lot worse than I did.
But it really wasn't all that bad. Even the hills weren't that bad. Compared to Paramin, dem hills was speedbumps.
I mean it wasn't exactly easy either. Shit took me three and a half hours to complete doing the walkers version.

But it wasn't the intimidating, terrifying experience I was anticipating.
I actually regret not entering the runners version since I wanted to run parts of it but couldn't because I could have been disqualified if they caught me.
Nevertheless, I made it, walking all the way.
The annual Butler Classic 20k race began in San Fernando and ended in Fyzabad.
It is held each year by the Oilfield Workers Trade Union (OWTU) to commemorate Labour Day.
It was my first time participating. There isn't much to say about the experience as the route was pretty uneventful.
I did observe a group of moko jumbies doing the race which was fascinating to me. And they were young too!
To walk 20k on stilts is no easy task! Apparently it's a tradition for them and they have been doing it every year for the past few years. Amazing! I wish I had gotten better pics of them.


Anyway, the race was ok. I'm not sure I'd do it again, to be honest.
San Fernando too goddamn far.
I was up at 3 am, just to get there on time.
But I do know that I am ready for UWI half-marathon in October.
This proved to me that I can do it, even though I may not be able to keep up with everybody else.
A year ago, I couldn't even walk up a flight of stairs without gasping for breath. Now I can say I did a 20k race!

                                      


(Technically 20.6 eh. Dat .6 is a big difference. I feel like I shoulda get two medals for that extra .6 of a kilometre I had to walk. Doh advertise a 20k and is a whole .6 of a kilometre more than a 20k. Shit man.)






Edit: After working myself up into a tizzy scared to do this walk...guess who won a cash prize? Yes! Meeeee! I placed first in the age 30-39 category!!!



Comments

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews